Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lifestyle Changes for Healthy Living

At the risk of taking on too much at once- focusing on too many things and accomplishing nothing- I am also going to commit to adopting healthier eating habits for myself and my family.

I think I am finally ready. While life is busy, and stressful at times, there is never the perfect time to do this! In the last few weeks and months, I have slowly been "getting there" mentally. There was a time when I think I was pretty good about limiting the sweets we kept on hand in our house. It was not a daily event to have a sweet snack. Lately, we have somehow morphed into a constant state of scrounging for the next sugary treat. It has got to stop.

Today, rather out of the blue, my 7yo told me, "Mom, I think you should try to lose 16 pounds by Christmas." I don't know what prompted this comment, or where he came up with that amount, but I am taking it as a sign. It's a rather daunting goal for me, considering that I have gained 20 pounds in the last 7 months. It is time to get serious. Life is too short to waste any more precious time.

I am still trying to figure out how best to fit exercise into my life, but I am going to give myself 1 week to come up with that plan. For this week, I am going to focus on getting my eating under control. I am going to "count points", Weight Watchers style, and track them in my journal. I also really want to focus on eating healthy, nutritionally dense, foods; lean proteins, whole grains, and lots of fruits and vegetables. In addition, I need to work on cutting my coffee habit, mostly because I "have" to use flavored creamer. Too many unnecessary calories that I can't afford! I am going to try to drink herbal tea in place of my after-supper cuppa java to start with. Then I will work from there.

Wish me luck! I will try to post my progress here each Saturday!

No comments: